Upgrading the HP Procurve firmware is straight forward when using the CLI and TFTP server.
1) Download the latest version of your switches firmware.
2) Copy the .swi file from the downloaded folder to your tftp server
3) Telnet or SSH to the switch to upgrade. Use puty to telnet to the switch if your windows do not telnet enabled.
4) Type copy tftp flash tftp-server-ip firmware_file_name.swi.
For example, if your tftp server IP address is 10.1.1.10 and your firmware file is I_10_103.swi.
This is the exact command to type: HP-ProCurve-2848# copy tftp flash 10.1.1.10 I_10_103.swi
5) The Primary OS Image will be deleted, continue [y/n]? respond yes to this prompt to overwrite the primary image file.
Note: the safer way would be to copy the firmware to the secondary image file and reboot the switch to the secondary image file and test it. In case something goes wrong, you can go back and reboot the switch back to the primary image.
6) To Copy the firmware to the secondary image file, type HP-ProCurve-2848# copy tftp flash 10.1.1.10 I_10_103.swi secondary and respond “yes” to overwrite the existing image.
7) You should see this message Validating and Writing System Software to FLASH… during the upgrade.
8) Reboot the system to the secondary image and upgrade the primary image using the commands below:
HP-ProCurve-2848# boot system flash primary
System will be rebooted from primary image. Do you want to continue [y/n]? y
HP-ProCurve-2848# copy tftp flash 10.1.1.10 I_10_103.swi primary
The Primary OS Image will be deleted, continue [y/n]? y – Hit Enter
After you have done the upgrade, use Show Flash command to verify the new firmware.
HP-ProCurve-2848# show flash
Image Size(Bytes) Date Version
—– ———- ——– ——-
Primary Image : 3425908 09/24/13 I.10.103
Secondary Image : 3425908 09/24/13 I.10.103
Boot Rom Version: I.08.05
Current Boot : Primary