Windows WinSxS is a system folder located under the Windows folder. It stores files needed for your Windows installation, as well as backups or system updates. You would probably find it’s the largest folder on your system drive if you run some type of disk space checking utility.
You cannot delete this folder or files in this folder in regular delete methods because the they are system files needed for updates and installations.
To perform a clean up and remove unnecessary files in that WinSxS folder reclaiming valuable hard drive space, use the steps below.
1. Open the Disk Cleanup Tool by typing “disk cleanup” in the Windows Search box and clicking “Disk Cleanup”. This method is same for Windwos 7, 8, and Windows 10
2. For Windows 10, click the Cleanup System Files button. For Windows 7, check off the Windows updates option listed
3. Check the box next to Windows Update Cleanup and click OK. Note: If you don’t see the Windows Update Cleanup option in the Disk Cleanup options, that means there aren’t any files that can be safely deleted.
4. Reboot the computer
Use Command Prompt or CMD Prompt to Clean Up the Windows SxS Folder
1. Launch the command prompt with admin privileges. You can do this by right-clicking on the Windows icon in the Windows search box and click “Command Prompt (Admin).”
2. Enter the command: Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Publisher: abdirahman isse