Moms are always worried that their kids don’t want to eat vegetables. Now you can feed them those unlikely vegetables in a tasty way. Creamy broth is the best way to get your kids to eat their vegetables.
Ingredients for croutons
. 1 loaf crusty bread, such as French or Italian bread, cut into 3/4inch cubes
. 1 teaspoon dried basil
. 2 chopped garlic cloves
. 1 teaspoon dried oregano
. 1 teaspoon dried sage
. ½ cup olive oil
. ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
. ½ teaspoon salt
. ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
. ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Ingredients for soup
. 1 medium yellow chopped onion
. 2 bay leaves
. 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
. 4 cloves minced garlic
. 2 cups heavy whipping cream
. 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
. 3 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
. 1 ½ pounds wild mushroom (chanterelle, crimini, shiitake, oyster, etc) coarsely chopped
. ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
. ¼ cup white wine or dry sherry
. Chopped parsley, for garnish
. Chopped roasted red peppers, for garnish (optional)
Method for the Croutons
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Take a bowl; toss the bread cubes with the oregano, oil, sage, garlic, basil, flakes, red pepper, salt and pepper.
3. Spread the bread cubes evenly on a baking sheet and bake them for 8 minutes.
4. Now remove the pan from the oven, scatter over the parmesan cheese and again bake for 5-7 minutes or until the croutons are crispy and golden brown.
5. Taste and add additional pepper and salt if needed.
Method for Soup
1. Take a large saucepan and heat the butter over medium heat. Now add garlic, thyme leaves, onion, bay leaves and cook them for 5 minutes or until the onion is tender and translucent.
2. Now add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often for another 5 minutes or until they begin soften and give out their liquid. If you wish you can remove ¼ cup of the mushroom to use as garnish.
3. Add the wine or sherry and simmer until it reduces by half. Now add the broth and bring it to a boil. Now reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup. Uncover it for 6-8 minutes or until the mushrooms are completely tender.
4. Now turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves and allow the soup to cool slightly for 10 minutes. When the soup has cooled pour it in a blender or food processor 1/3 at a time, until the mushrooms are in small pieces not completely pureed.
5. Return the soup to the pan and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Whisk in the parmesan cheese and cream and heat it through. Season with pepper and salt. Pour the soup into bowls and garnish with reserved croutons, roasted red pepper (if using), mushrooms and parsley.Publisher: Fadiyah Sameh