Most of the people across the world love to eat strawberries. When it comes to growing strawberry, it is very easy to plant them; there are some important points which a person should know before planting them. There are three types of strawberry plants.
Day-Neutral: This kind of plants produce fruits and buds and grows continuously when the temperature ranges 35 to 85, irrespective of the length of the day.
Everbearer: These varieties of the strawberries produce buds in two seasons that are in the summer and autumn only. The buds formed in the summer gives fruit in autumn and the ones produced in autumn give fruits in summer.
Junebearer: These varieties are sensitive to the length of the days. It produces buds in the season of autumn, starts flowering and producing fruits in the following spring and grows continuously in the days of the summer season.
June bearers are recommended for home plantation as they are worth waiting.
Things to keep in mind while planting the strawberries further include as follows:
1. The person who is willing to plant the tree should buy a plant which is disease resistant and that too from a reputed nursery.
2. Plant the tree as soon as possible so that the ground could work in Spring.
3. Strawberries are positional plants. They produce daughter plants which in turn produce more.
4. One should take care about the holes for roots so that they could be accommodated without damage.
5. Roots should be covered, but other parts should be at the soil surface.
6. Also take care about spacing. Set the gap between the rows 4 feet and between the plants about 20 inches.
7. Roots should not be more than 8 inches long. Trim them if necessary.
8. pH value of the soil should range between 5.5 to 7.
9. Strawberries require 6-10 hours direct exposure to the sun daily.
10. Grow new plants every year so that the quality of the berries could be maintained to high.Publisher: Fadiyah Sameh