If you notice slow hard drive response or screechy sound from your system, you would probably want check its health status before it dies completely. With Windows 7 & 8, there are built in tools that you can use to check the hard drive for errors.
Check drives errors by using Windows built-in error checking tool:
1. Click Start and then click on Computer
2. Right click the drive to check
3. Click the Tools tab
4. Under the error-checking section, click on Check Now
5. In the check disk dialog box, select the option and click start
Windows will ask you to schedule the check and repair for next reboot if the operating system is installed on the selected drive. The check and repair process will start running after reboot. The time it takes depends on your computer hard drive size.
Check drives errors by using Windows command Chkdsk:
1. Click Start and type CMD in the search box and hit enter
2. In the command prompt, type chkdsk /f and hit enter
3. Hit Y, if the system asks to schedule the task and restart the computer.
Check and repair process will start running after reboot. The time it takes depends on your computer hard drive size.
Check hard drive errors by using third party tools:
TestDiskFree generic utility to test and fix hard drive errors.
SeaTools – Free Seagate Hard Drive tool that is also compatible with other manufacturers.
HGST WinDFT hard drive – WinDFT is a free utility that will quickly test your HGST internal and external hard disk drives as well as all single drive G-Technology products.Publisher: abdirahman isse