This article is quick guide to install Active Directory on Windows Server 2003 in new domain under new forest.
Follow these steps to install active directory:
1. Login the system as an Administrator and click Start then click Run
2. Type dcpromo and click ok. This will start active directory installation wizard.
3. Choose one of these options presented:
a. Domain Controller for new domain – Choose this if you are setting up your domain first time in a new forest, or creating child domain.
b. Additional Domain Controller for existing domain – Choose this option if you adding the domain controller to existing domain. Click Next.
4. Choose to create the domain under new tree or to create child domain tree. Child domain is a sub domain of existing main domain. Click Next.
5. Choose whether to create the domain under a new forest or to add it to an existing forest. Click Next.
6. Type the “Full DNS Name” for your new domain name. You may setup your DNS prior installing Active Directory or you may setup at same time.
7. Setup your NetBIOS, keep the auto generated NetBIOS unless you real need to change it and other existing NetBIOS. NetBIOS is legacy windows name resolution. Click Next.
8. Choose the location of your Active Directory Database and Log File. Storing these files in a separate hard disk is recommended. Click Next.
9. Choose the location of Sysvol folder. Sysvol stores domains public files and the contents are replicated to all domain controllers in the domain. Must be NTFS folder. Click Next.
10. If you did not configure the DSN, choose to configure it and run the DSN wizard. Configuring your DNS prior Active Directory installation is recommended.
11. Type the Active Directory Restore Mode password. Make sure to keep this password in secure location. You will need to access Active Directory Access Restore Mode. Click Next.
12. Review the summary and verify the domain, database location, and the sysvol location.Publisher: abdirahman isse