Cooking level: Easy
. 1 cup cream cheese
. 1\8 teaspoon nutmeg nicely grated
. 1\2 cup crème fraiche (You can also make this cream at home)
. 1 teaspoon baking powder
. 1 teaspoon salt, as per taste
. 3 tablespoon olive oil
. Freshly ground white pepper for taste
. 8 strips smoked bacon, finely chopped
. 2 egg yolks
. 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
. 1 3\4 cup flour, plus more for dusting
Total Time: 16 hr 5 min
Prep: 5 min
Inactive: 16 hr
Yield: 1 cup
. 1 cup heavy cream
. 2 tablespoon buttermilk
- In a bowl, combine the buttermilk and cream.
- Now cover with a clean kitchen cloth in a warm and let sit until thickened but still a pourable consistency for 12 to 16 hours.
- Stir and refrigerate until ready to use. You can refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Method for Bacon and Onion Tart
- Heat your oven to 500 degree with a pizza stone and positioned on center rack. Now mix cream cheese, crème fraiche, white pepper, nutmeg and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Now take another bowl and whisk flour, 1 teaspoon salt and baking powder in it and make a well in the center.
- Whisk yolks, oil and 1\2 cup water in another bowl and pour them into well. Use a fork and stir until a loose dough forms. Now turn out onto lightly floured surface, knead dough for 1 minute.
- Dived the dough into 3 pieces. Take a piece of dough and roll into a 12 inch circle and place on a parchment paper or lined baking sheet.
- Now spread 1\2 cup cheese, mixture over circle, leaving a 1\2 inch border around edge. Now Sprinkle with a little of the onions and bacon. Now transfer the dough to a pizza stone and bake until lightly browned and crispy for 8-10 minutes.